**Staff at the Defender Outdoors Shooting Center cannot advise you on whether or not you are eligible to get your License to Carry. If you have questions on whether you are eligible, you’ll need to visit the DPS’s Frequently Asked Questions page**
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU TAKE A LICENSE TO CARRY CLASS IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD ANY FIREARMS TRAINING (I.E. PRIVATE LESSON, INTRO TO HANDGUN CLASS, ETC.) IT IS DANGEROUS FOR YOURSELF, YOUR CLASSMATES AND OUR STAFF FOR YOU ENTER INTO THE SHOOTING PROFICIENCY PORTION OF THIS CLASS WITH NO FIREARMS KNOWLEDGE. TO SCHEDULE A PRIVATE LESSON, PLEASE CALL 817-935-8377 OR EMAIL INFO@DEFENDEROUTDOORS.COM. TO SEE INFORMATION ON OUR INTRO TO HANDGUN CLASSES, PLEASE GO TO WWW.DOSHOOTING.COM AND CLICK ON “TRAINING”.
1. Choose a class date from the doshooting.com website (click on the Training Tab and scroll down to see our class and training calendar), create a profile and pay for your class.
2. Go to https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/ and fill out your DPS application to the State of Texas (note that a non-refundable fee of $140 is due to the State of Texas for processing your license. This fee is discounted for military, law enforcement, etc. For more information on fees and eligibility, please see the DPS’s FAQ’s). All information you will need to have available to fill out your DPS allocation is located on the first page of the aforementioned link.
3. At the end of your DPS application and after your payment is processed you will be prompted to make a fingerprinting appointment. You will then be redirected to the MorphoTrust/Identogo website. Fill in all the required information and pay your $10 online for the fingerprinting cost. If you have scheduled your class out far enough, you may be able to get your fingerprints done the same day as your class. If not, you will need to make an appointment for either before your class or after your class. IT IS NOT GUARANTEED THAT YOU WILL GET A FINGERPRINTING APPOINTMENT THE DAY OF YOUR CLASS AND ALL FINGERPRITNING LOCATIONS ARE CLOSED ON SUNDAYS. **PLEASE NOTE: YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE YOUR DPS APPLICATION FILLED PRIOR TO YOUR LICENSE TO CARRY CLASS. THIS ONLY NEEDS TO BE DONE IF WOULD LIKE TO TRY TO GET YOUR FINGERPRINTS DONE BEOFRE OR ON THE SAME DAY AS YOUR CLASS.**
4. Attend your License to Carry class and take your shooting proficiency at Defender Outdoors! We take our shooting test before class so make sure you know how to shoot before you come to class. It is HIGHLY recommended that you take an Intro to Handgun course prior to taking your License to Carry class. For a schedule of Intro to Handgun Classes, click here.
5. Once you pass your LTC Class and Shooting Proficiency, you will receive an LTC 100 Document. This document is where your instructor signs off on your class time and shooting proficiency. The STUDENT MUST SEND THIS IN to the State of Texas either via mail or email. If mailing you may send to: Texas Department of Public Safety, P.O. Box 4087 Austin, TX 78773-0245. If you would like to email, scan the document into .pdf format, then go to: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/contact/chlatt.aspx. Then do the following:
– From the first dropdown select “Handgun Licensing”
-From the 2nd dropdown, select “Submit LTC Supporting Document”
–Fill in all identifying information requested (except Handgun License number. You don’t have one yet.)
–Choose the .pdf
YOU WILL THEN RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL FROM THE STATE OF TEXAS TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS YOU PROVIDED. KEEP THIS FOR YOUR RECORDS. IN 8-12 WEEKS YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR LICENSE IN THE MAIL. DEFENDER OUTDOORS CANNOT CONTACT THE DPS FOR YOU TO SEE THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO INQUIRE ABOUT YOUR APPLCIATION YOU CAN CALL (512) 424-7293 OR SUBMIT AN ELECTORNIC INQUIRY TO THE DPS HERE.